Thursday, May 21, 2009

Out of ICU

Frank writes... Rudy types...

Hi all, ha ha hold on he just fell asleep out of no where...

Alright, here's a brief history of my medical condition... I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy with ventricular tachycardia (VT) in December of 02'. In between that time I've had 3 different defibrillators, 3 different cardiac ablations, and many many shocks. I really started to loose control of the disease in December 08. This led me to Barnes-Jewish hospital which I was admitted onto the heart transplant list.

In mid April I was sustaining quite a few VT events which led the doctors at Barnes to move me up the heart transplant list. This is a move which I never thought would happen... going to a 2 on the list to a 1B in 2 months! In reality I never thought I would have this heart transplant procedure happen to me, but by the miracle of god I write this letter to all you wonderful people today. Many of you probably didn't realize how ill I was, by just looking at me you could never tell by my appearance. Most recipients have multiple problems, which in my case all I had was a bum heart (sleeping..). Now I have a new healthy strong heart thanks to a generous donor family and all of your prayers. Please keep these people in your prayers.

Today I was moved from the ICU to a private room and on my way to a healthy recovery. I still have tubes in my neck but the fatigue shortness of breath are gone from before the surgery. Also the piano hanging over my head that would shock me is no longer in my body due to the defibrillator being taken out . As I lay here tonight I still can't believe this miracle happened to me. I'm sure I will have trials and tribulations in the weeks to come. I will most likely be in Barnes for a week to 10 days and then will be staying in St. Louis for the next 3-5 weeks for biopsy's. My post care will be handled at Barnes for the next year. I will still have a fantastic relationship with Mid America Cardiology Group of KU. I cannot stress enough the important care this group has showed me throughout the last many years and will always be truly grateful to them for there hard work and loyalty.

I would like each and everyone of you to know that all of the comments lifted my spirits, I was not apart of this blog until tonight (sleeping...). So I would like to thank Stephanie Connor, Susan, Johniann, Carl and Rudy for such a wonderful gift to me and you!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Cuz, When I began reading these updates last night I cried, then laughed, then did it again. The tears were in happiness for you, for Susan and for Rudy and Carl. What a journey! You are a miracle Frankie! You have always offered of yourself and brought so much to so many people's lives. I have such respect for your courage and strength. It has been a comfort to have this communication with the family and I can't wait to hear from you now! You give 'em hell and remember you're a Rock Star! Mel sends her love and good wishes. I can't wait to "swish" down the mountain with you again! All my love to all of you. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa,
    Thank you so much for the love you bring our way. You are very special to me, and book the lift tickets for early next year I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to let all the family members you are in my thoughts and prayers. Frank and Susan it was a blessing being able to see you and talk with you last week at the nursing home. Its always wonderful to see visitor. Frank I just spoke with Pat the nurse and she wanted to let you know she is certainly thinking about you. God is certainly looking over such a wonderful family. Hang in there buddy!

    Stan Sales
    Liberty Terrace Care Center

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there anyone sleeping? or are we all old and wake up early. I know Mr Frank woke me up at 3:56 wanting me to help him get onto his blog site. I was think to myself is he ever going to get some sleep, now I'm wide awake, glad to hear from you Lisa and Stan I hope your are feeling better. We will see you soon when we get back in town, you take care of your self and Liberty Terrace, did Pat introduce you to Lena yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Frank and Susaan .Yes we are old except for Frank and his neew found youth and energy . We will never be able to keep up with him again .The next time we go cruising Frank will be stealing the bike and giving us the ride .As with everyone else this could not have happened to a better guy .have a great day and look foward to seeing you soon Ron B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank,

    This is your cousin Julie (the younger one, ha ha) and just like we talked about on Tuesday, I am writing an e-mail and so grateful to be doing this so soon after surgery; it truly is a miracle and you sure deserved one. Anyway,keep up the work of getting better and know that the Guay family (Gene, Chris, Joanna, and John, and me of course) are all sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. Talk to you soon.
    Susan, hi to you too, and remember to try to get some rest! I was so glad to hear that your parents and other family was there with you. Take care.

    Love, Julie and the whole Guay clan

    ReplyDelete
  7. What up, Frank the knife/wife/?........ Are you going to have a new nickname? Wow, wow, wow, wow. We're incredibly excited and happy and cannot wait for things to get back to 'normal' for you guys. Mom and Dad have been on the website checking in on you too. It's great to get the information and to hear that you're doing so well. Perfect timing that you'll be back in KC in the next 6 weeks or so - we'll be soon calling for you to babysit!?! Love ya, Dan and Tara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Frank, we had no idea. I'm so sorry for all you, and yet happy for your blessings Susan and the boys have been through. I'm a bit shocked myself! But no more for you, huh. And a brand new heart!! :) Wow! Sorry, can't type anymore...must go shed some tears. Miss you SO MUCH! Must see you guys. Love you always, Tonya
    Frank, just walked in the door and T showed me this. I'm happy for the donor and will continue to pray for you. I was in KC a few weeks ago and almost called to see if you could go to lunch again, I guess that wouldn't have worked huh? Good luck and God Bless Doug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning Frank/Susan --- The Sun is shining brightly this morning and it sounds like you're having a good morning !!!!!! Frank - I'm so happy that you are now out of ICU. My Mom has been asking about your progress on a daily basis. I want you to know that many people are praying for you - You have a wonderful family and yes....one hell of a wife (okay I'm partial). Susan - I hope you and Rudy are getting enough rest. Til later.....
    God Speed
    Concetta/Randy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Frank - Amy Granger here!! Your former Mark One co-worker. I am so happy to hear you are doing well. It brought me goosebumps when I heard the news of the transplant. Yes, it is a miracle. You and Susan are such amazing people. And I wish nothing but a long life of love and happiness to you and your family. You are an amazing man.. and everyone that has had the pleasure of meeting you feels the same.

    God Bless.. and Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Frank and Susan-It's Anna Ewbank-Yea for you!!! We are thrilled for you and so happy you're doing well. I've been drilling Ted on how you're doing but your blog has helped me with my questions. You know us nurses we have to know everything. You sound Wonderful. We are certainly praying for you and the donor's family. Can't wait to see you, we'll need to have a new Birthday Bash!!! We love you, All the Ewbank's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frank & Susan, I was on all my meds when I signed my email and put the wrong nursing home I'm in..haha. No I just met Pat the other night when I passed out and fell out of my wheelchair and they had to call an ambulance and take me to the hospital. Sounds like everything is going great. Frank I know your one tough puppy you will get through this and be back home in no time.

    I pray for your family daily.

    Stan Sales
    Ashton Court Care Center

    ReplyDelete
  13. I spoke with my grandparents who happen to be Frank and Susan's neighbors JC and Elizabeth Lewis. They informed me of what Frank has been going through. It's truly a miracle what has happend. I just wanted to let you know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your head up and stay stong. Keep fighting and I know you will do great.

    Sincerly,
    Lauren Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frank,
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Your KU fan club is asking about you daily. Praise the Lord for your new heart. Did you ask for the old defibrillator for a momento?

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  15. Di,

    But of course, you know we need one for each boy for Christmas!

    Love ya Susan and Frank

    See you soon KU homies!

    ReplyDelete