Wednesday, June 17, 2009

10:00 pm - We are home!

As you can see I made the decision to head home, my back was feeling good and I just didn't feel like doing the whole hotel thing another night. Frank did not sleep well on Tuesday nite and ended up the next morning with a few new pains in his chest, so he needed his own bed.

Tuesday...
We left a day early as Frank said, to attend a meeting with other heart transplant patient (HTP), all I can say was WOW. The meeting started with the President of the Pitter Patter Organization letting all of us know about up coming monthly HTA meetings, picnics, trivia night and fundraiser to keep these event possible. After that Jennifer Manolis, Heart Transplant Social Worker spoke, this women has so much drive, compassion, devotion to the organization and all of us! She then asked that all the HTP, introduce themselves and let everyone know when they had their transplant. Jennifer turned towards Frank and said, this is our newest transplant recipient and that is when I could of broke down and cried, like I could do right now. Then it just kept getting harder and harder for me to fight back the tears, we went around that room looking and hearing each individual young and old say their pitter patter # and then telling us with such joy how long they have been a recipient. I was happy for them and also sad to think these young people had to go thru such a difficult time in life, but really my tears were of joy for their second chance & the gift of life the donor gave them as well as me to be with the love of my life for many, many more years...



Jennifer then announced what the topic of the meeting was and gave some information about the speaker Laura Roldan, RN, ......... TOPIC: sexuality and the transplant patient.

Basically it was pretty short and sweet...one question came up that I have to share with you.
"When can you have sex after your transplant?"
For some reason most of them looked at Frank since he was the newest HTP,
I even looked at him :) like did you write that question? Frank...Nope!
  • Anyway Laura said, well I think its different for everyone but basically when you are feeling good and can walk up a flight of steps with no problem, go for it.

  • You will all be proud of Mr. Frank, he asked what is considered a flight of steps? Everyone laughed,

  • Frank then said, well on my fourth day after my surgery, my physical therapist had me walk and then had me go up a flight of steps, everyone laughed again!

  • Laura said, Frank I think it would of been to soon at that time, your sternum and incision were probably not ready for that yet! The end...

    Wednesday...
    Blood labs - his Prograf anti-rejection level came back high (17 - they would like it to be 10) lowered medicine.
    Echo- results not final, still a little fluid. Not concerned.
    Biopsy - went fine, took 15 minutes, but Frank had to lay still for 2 hours. We will let you know the results but it could be tomorrow or the next day before we know.

    After that jumped in the car grabbed some IMO Pizza in O'Fallon, Mo, which was delicious (Angie) by the way and headed towards home. Barely missed the storms along the way. Picked up Molly at her best-friends home. Morgy...Molly saids thanks and she had lots of fun hanging out with you!

    Bye Blogger, Susan

4 comments:

  1. Wow -- Sounds like you both thoroughly enjoyed the meeting. I believe this group will benefit you both. Happy you guys made it home...As Dorothy put it...."There's No Place Like Home".....Still Praying for you both..!
    Love ya
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - I just knew Frank was going to pipe up and say what day he was able to have sex and embarrass you in front of everyone! I can hear in my head him asking the question about the flight of stairs...makes me laugh harder. I will be over later on today since I know you saved some Imo's for me! Makes me hungry thinking about it! Pleae blog when you find out the numbers we all are praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank/Sue
    Glad to hear that you made it back fine from St. Louis. My mouth started watering when you mentions Imo's Pizza... Gosh I love it and it always taste better in St. Louis I think... Okay well, see as I was reading your blog and got to the part of everyone telling their # tears are coming ...and then when we get to the Q &A I'm smiling.. Frank we just love you...
    Well Joe daily asks how the blog is going and says make sure to say HI..
    prayers are with you..
    by the way next time in st. louis if you haven't seen it already Cathedral Basilica St. Louis 4431 Lindell Boulevard. beautiful.. go see it when you two have a chance
    talk later.
    love
    rozann:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank & Susan -- love following your blog and keeping up with you both! Thanks for sharing with us all. You two are incredible!
    Love & Prayers,
    Kathleen & Anthony

    ReplyDelete